Windows Server 2008 is the successor of Windows Server 2003, a major improvement with more advanced features and better performance, but the new Windows Server Backup built in Windows Server 2008 does not have the ability to backup Exchange Server 2007/2003 in the same fashion that the old NTBackup from Windows 2003 did: not support for the Exchange streaming APIs. You can dismount databases and take a VSS backup, but that's not a very Exchange-friendly method. Many administrators have complained this to Microsoft, but at least there is no new version out to include the Windows Server Backup working well with Exchange Server backup. However, you can still use NTBackup to backup Exchange Server under Windows Server 2008 via the following methods:
1. Load up a Windows Server 2003 64 bit system. The 64 bit part is important, as you should be running Exchange on a x64 platform, and you must use matching binaries for this.
2. Copy the ntbackup.exe, ntmsapi.dll, and vssapi.dll from C:\windows\system32 into a new folder.
3. Copy the new folder you created containing the copied files to USB drive.
4. Copy the folder from the USB drive to your Windows Server 2008.
Steps to backup Exchange Server 2007 with NTBackup
1. To start, log in to your Exchange Server, click on the start Menu, select Run and type in ntbackup.
2. Click Backup tab and choose Backup Wizard. Then all your hard drives will be listed in this window. Expand the MS Exchange Server all the way down until you can see your Storage Groups.
3. Check the boxes next to all of your Storage Groups.
4. Then find the location where your Exchange Server was installed and expand the program File folder:
5. Locate the Microsoft folder and expand it. Check "Exchange Server" folder but exclude the Storage Group folders from the directory under Mailbox.(for in step 3 you have already chosen Storage Group)
6. Alright, we're almost done here. The last thing we need to remember is to check the box next to our System State.
7. Now to choose backup destination: network drive, local disk or media tape. Then click Start Backup button.
Exchange backup software: EaseUS Todo Backup provides backup solutions for Exchange 2003/2007/2010:
How to backup Exchange 2003 with EaseUS Todo Backup?