Do you encounter such a problem that your disk does not show file system? Go to Chkdsk but receive error:”The type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives”. Anyway, what is going on here? Is it possible to access the drive and get the files on it? Yes, you can. The data recovery software that makes this possible is called EASUE Data Recovery Wizard.Firstly, in order to have a good understanding of raw recovery, we must make clear what CHKDSK is. According to Wikipedia, CHKDSK (short for Checkdisk) is a command on computers running DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows operating systems that displays the file system integrity status of hard disks and floppy disk and can fix logical file system errors. It is similar to the fsck command in Unix. If CHKDSK encounters logical inconsistencies in file system data, CHKDSK performs actions that repair the file system data (assuming that the data is not in read-only mode). While if the volume type information is unavailable, attempting chkdsk against the volume will result in the following message: The type of the filesystem is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. Generally, a sudden power failure or virus attack will cause drive to fail in such a way and become raw.
With friendly user interface, EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard has three modules on its window as follow: "Deleted File Recovery" is for recovering deleted data; "Partition Recovery" for recovering data from lost or damaged partition and "Complete Recovery" for data recovery from raw drive, format, system crash, etc.Tips: do not install the software on the raw drive and do not change anything (rewrite/format/delete) on it.
Here is the way to recover files when chkdsk reports raw:
1. Choose 'Complete Recovery' to enter device list where you will see the information of your drives;
2. Choose the Raw drive you want to recover from and click ‘NEXT';
3. After 'Intelligent Searching', there will be one or more partitions, please choose the highest suggestion partition as well as other 3 partitions that are recommended higher, too. (If you feel the retrieve process is slow, you can choose one partition once.)
4. After searching, there will be the files list, select a file, click 'File Preview'; If this file is not corrupt, you can view it normally. (.doc, .xls, .txt, .jpg, .bmp, etc. can be supported to preview).
5. Choose the files you want to recover, and click ‘Next' to save the data.